Capgemini professionally hands over a service to support business process operations at ELEXON
Throughout our implementation programme Capgemini demonstrated a pragmatic approach to the transition of the SVA service, and proved its commitment to preserve our long term strategic relationship. We hope that Capgemini will wish to work with ELEXON again in the future and we will keep an eager eye on their continued progressive work within the industry. Peter Davies, Head of Service Delivery, ELEXON
In 2007 ELEXON, the Balancing and Settlement Code Company (BSCCo) for Great Britain, decided to restructure the Business Process Operations for its Balancing and Settlement Systems, to ensure alignment to its mission statement of delivering the Balancing and Settlement Code effectively, efficiently and economically, to the benefit of our customers.
The project combined the Central Volume Allocation (CVA) and Supplier Volume Allocation (SVA) services into a new central service managed under one contract. In April 2008 the new contract was awarded to an alternative service provider.
Consequently, after a very successful working relationship and an equally strong delivery track record of 12 years, Capgemini was required to exit and transition from the Supplier Volume Allocation Agent (‘SVAA’) role.
ELEXON began its BPO Implementation Project in May 2008, and Capgemini responded accordingly. Capgemini successfully undertook the following activities:
- supported the new service provider throughout the SVA service transition, attending knowledge transfer sessions to advise and guide the new service provider
- ensured there was no detrimental impact to the ‘Live’ service and that all Service Levels were achieved, while supporting the transition
- built relationships and successfully managed tasks and dependencies by attending tri-partite transition meetings
- handed over software source code and documentation on time and to the required quality standards
- identified risks and issues and advised ELEXON appropriately
- offered innovative and cost effective solutions to technical challenges relating to service transition
- communicated frequently, openly and honestly with ELEXON on the staffing situation to protect ELEXON from risk to the ‘Live’ service and transition.
Capgemini’s management team committed to continuing to perform at the same high standard during transition and exit as it had during the SVA contract after learning about the contract change. The SVA service was successfully transferred to the new service provider on 23 March 2009. It is widely acknowledged that Capgemini contributed significantly towards the successful implementation.
Key aspects of the approach included:
- an established, passionate delivery team, and a strong Service Delivery Manager – all committed to successful transition
- managing transition support and exit activities closely to ensure Capgemini met key deadlines
- delivering activities within budget and assisting ELEXON in closely and frequently monitoring expenditure
- a professional approach from all staff during a sensitive time
- working closely with the new service provider to support its requirements and assuring ELEXON that the SVA service was ready to be transferred.